Wednesday, September 01, 2021

BOOK REVIEW! IT'S A VAN GOOF BY FRANQUIN (Cinebooks 2017)

Heh, yet another one of those Gaston LaGaffe books translated into English and dumped onto a market which I'm sure could care less. As with the other volumes I reviewed two years back these  tales might not be for the standard Amerigan comic fan what with the stringently European style and humor which doesn't translate as well as one might wish, but I gotta admit to enjoying the finely detailed artwork and  trying to make sense of the jokes which, at times, I doubt were even that funny even in their native tongue. 

Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing some of those early SPIROU ET FANTASIO comics where Gaston/Gomer's about stymieing various attempts at the story coming to a quicker conclusion, but as far as I can tell those were never deciphered into a language us normil people can understand. Maybe inna future these'll make their way into the realm of Amerigan comic collections, if any of us are alive or still care by the time they do.

9 comments:

Alvin Bishop said...

Looks interesting!

More of a Moebius guy myself. (Chuckle!)

Cheers!

Bart Bright said...

GO TEXAS!

SAVE THE CHILDREN! SAVE THE BABIES!

DEMON-KKK-RATS WANT TO MURDER THE PROUD AFRICAN-AMERICAN BABIES!

JOYLESS REID AND THE FAUX INJUN PRINCESS ARE FIT TO BE TIED! LOL!

HOGTIE DIZZY LIZZY WARREN AND GAG THE BEE-YOTCH!

LOL!!!

HANDMAIDEN TALE IS HERE! NOW!

TALIBAN THE BEE-YOTCHES! LOL!!!

top_cat_james said...

Is the art on front taken from a story inside, or, God help us, it's supposed to be a cover gag? Either way, I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Christopher Stigliano said...

Its' a stand alone gag. Well, I dunno about "gag"...

debs said...

lol

Christopher Stigliano said...

Top Cat, to be more precise about the cover, Gaston/Gomer is playing his Gaffeophone, a harp which has such sonic-shattering powers that it destroys matter within miles. This was a running gag in the comic which non-fans definitely would not know about hence the confusion some would have. If you're interested, there are Gaston Gaffe animated cartoons on Youtube that were made by the same people who did those Peanuts shorts that can be seen on Boomerang, or at least were seen last time I looked ages back.

Breit Bart's Mom said...

Breit Bart has sex with me. He loves to call me a bitch while he pulls my hair and takes me from behind.

Christopher Stigliano said...

I have been lax editing these comments. Expect some expulsions more sooner than later.

debs said...

:)