Sunday, April 21, 2019

Welp, it's Easter time again which means that now Lent's over I can give up my Lenten doody being nice to people (not counting Sunday of course)! In other words, screweth youeth as they used to say in the Old Testament, or something like that. Anyhow I hope that you are having a good holiday go of it, eating those roasted rabbits that are so in demand during this time of year. I'll bet you all got a kick outta the look on yer kids' faces when they realize that's Fuffy they're munching down along with the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole! Oh well, they shoulda gotten the hint back when you were force-feeding the thing.
***
Otherwise I'm having a pretty good time of it what with me spinning a whole lotsa great sounds to accompany my otherwise dreadful state o' being. You probably already know what my faves are (mainly the SAME AS USUAL) so there's no point in tellin' ya yet again what's lighting my fancy this week, but if I told you that I'm still experiencing the same tingling vibrating sensations in the here and now while listening to this music that I did when I was still but a mere teenbo oh so long ago well, you might be surprised. But then again maybe not given just how stuck I remain in my Asperger's-riddled youth even at a time when I automatically am given Seniors' Discounts and little old ladies want to help me across the street! Ya know, Peter Pan was right after all, even if my elderly state o' looks is savin' me a whole lotta money!
***
EDI-TOO-REAL COMMENT: I suppose it was in bad taste for me to sing "Notre Dame is burning down" to the tune of "My Fair Lady" last Monday, but I can't let a good tragedy go to waste. Believe it or not, but I actually was kinda startled by it all, not as much as when the twin towers came a'tumblin' down but jarred I was at the news of this massive historical structure built during one of the heights in World History (also known as "the Dark Ages" [hah!]) took on so much damage. I still think there's more to this disaster than the authorities have let on, and given the spate of church desecrations happening across France as of late even Karen Quinlan would come to the same conclusion given the facts. Somebody out there (Macron?, the gendarmes???) is trying to keep the rest of us in the shade so to speak, and ya know that they're gonna thankfully slip up somewhere down the line with the whole sordid mess coming to light making a lotta folk out there (not only in France but the rest of the civilized world) look totally stoopid! If LePen were in office she wouldn't have let any of this happen I'll tell ya! As that infamous TIME magazine letter writer Al Epstein used to say, "THEY ALL LAY DOWN SOONER OR LATER" and the sooner the better in this case!
***
Despite claims to the contrary, things are looking good not only with such fun items as the latest UGLY THINGS heading our way but the fact that the Peter Laughner box set is ready to be released which really does send this mind for a whirl! Only five disques true (wonder what they left out---and since this should have been at least a ten Cee-Dee set I should say PLENTY!) but its appearance is bound to be the highlight of this or any other year. I dunno if I will be purchasing this upon release (monetary concerns---drat!) but it's gonna be a must-to-get even if I'll eventually pick it up in the cheapo bin at Mason's a good ten years from now.
***
Enuff ov dat...here's this week's batch o' beauts that I know you'll wanna read about. Blame Bill and Paul for these gibs. But before we do, lemme just say try to have a hotcha weekend even if you are one of the many unjustly jailed people out there who are rotting away in prisons and other centers of detention---and if you are one of these unfortunate denizens of the dungeons howzbout sayin' hi to Julian for me.


Fuzzy Knight-COUNT TWO THREE CD-r burn (originally on The Chautauqua Group label)

Like, who woulda thunk that the famed western comedic sidekick of yore would be around in more recent times (in this case 2012) recording that new rock folk thingie, the kind that seems to be big with some of the younger portion of our society armed with an acoustic guitar and a hat for passerbys to plunk their change in. Sheesh, this guy is just like all those other new folkies for fanabla times singing down 'n dire songs that ya can't tell apart (at least when the Seeds and Troggs sounded alike ya really went for it full blast). As you can tell, Fuzzy's rep just doesn't snuggle up to mine ideals of what this breed of brew oughta come off like here in an era where new ideas better spark our nerve endings. (They won't but it's nice to fantasize a bit!) Might raise part of an eyebrow at a local high school talent night.
***
Doug Fowlkes & the Airdales-THE AIRDALE WALK CD-r burn (originally on Atco Records)

With a name like the Airdales I was reminded of Moe Howard's famous retort. But there ain't anything to laff at with this pretty good twist soul effort that puts an entirely better light on the musical year of 1962 than one might imagine. Surprisingly enough this does have its crudity that makes it so listenable...nothing near the likes of the Northwest brigades of the day but still good enough. Even the emphasis on the twist craze ain't gonna make ya wanna puke either! A nice surprise that won't turn any heads but should be pleasing enough to fans of the pre-British Invasion form.
***
The Love Me Nots-THE DEMON AND THE DEVOTEE CD-r burn (originally on Atomic A-Go-Go Records)

Starts off hard enough but like much of these post-post-garage band platters the energy just seems to fall off. Good effort and a good enough approach, but the Love Me Nots reall don't spark any real inner whooziz the way similar items from the eighties era of revivalism might have, at least up to a point. I'll give 'em notches for not being anywhere near what the standards for rock 'n roll "proper" have been since the seventies AOR era, but some more oomph shoulda been in place.
***
Dave Rave-ANTHOLOGY VOL. 2 CD-r burn (originally on Bullseye Records)

He's a talented kinda guy, but dang if there is more than just a little lacking in Dave Rave's entire musical existence that makes me have to listen harder. I could go off into all sortsa weird tangents to describe just what it is that keeps this guy from breaking through the hymen of my inner musical appreciation of the eternal form, but to put it mildly the guy just lacks the gnawing tension that makes the listening experience play out in your mind. Good musician tho, and even if that lounge-y jazz thing that pops up near the end of the platter'll make you wanna schmooze to martoonies his singing might even make some of you sappier gals in the audience shed a tear or three.
***
Earl Palmer-DRUMSVILLE Cd-r burn (originally on Liberty Records)

Palmer leads this sesh filled with covers of recent hits that sounded better the first time around so like, why bother inna first place unless yer tryin' to fool some unsuspecting grownups into buying it like those budget platters I often review usedta do. I found it kinda cornballus myself, though the drumming was good.
***
GERALD MOHR IN THE ADVENTURES OF PHILIP MARLOWE CD-r burn

Gotta admit that I was rather woozy after a hard day at the dildo factory when I heard these epsidoes, so it ain't like I was paying that close attention. However I did pay enough to get that hard-edged grit into my system that programs like these usually dish out in droves. First Marlowe episode has to do with him taking the case of some rich biddy who is found murdered a half-hour later while the second has Marlowe trying to find the missing son of a widow and on a slim clue (mainly a letter addressed to the kid that mom just "happened" to open...it's happened to me too or so I highly suspect!) and discovering that "Chip" wasn't exactly the wholesome and robust guy he sure used to be! Good acting (radio and tee-vee faves Virginia Gregg and Howard McNair pop up) and the scripts are way better'n what those Junior College dropouts who write for tee-vee these days could ever come up with.
***
Various Artists-WATERMELON PATCHWORK BUCKEYE BUDDY CD-r burn (Bill Shute)

Once again Bill loads up on those old country tunes that I'm sure'll upset more and more of the more urbane sophisticado types who tune into this blog. But hey, at least there's some good stuff here that gets to my inner inbredness what with an early (original?) version of the early-seventies Jerry Lee Lewis hit "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" by Lov Gordon and His Pleasant Valley Boys as well as a nice blood curdler entitled "Rebel Yell" which I am proud to say sounds NOTHING like the Billy Idol hit of the same name. Bill also gets inner city with a selection of tracks by the likes of Artie Christopher and the infamous Rufus Thomas who deep fry soul this burn so-to-speak. I dunno if this is Bill's own personal version of "Ebony and Ivory" but it sure makes the real life hit sound rather stinkola which isn't anything hard to do, but he did it!
***
I haven't been getting as many orders for old issues of BLACK TO COMM as I would like. And brother, do I really need the moolah right now what with the possibilities of rare Velvet Underground releases not to mention a new collection of the NOT BRAND ECHH comic book in the pipes. You don't want me to miss out on these tasty treats now, do you? Oh...NEVER MIND!!!

No comments: