TOP TEN OF TEE-VEE
While in the midst of preparing my massive New Year's Eve wrap-up I thought I'd toss out this list of my faverave Top Ten Tee-Vee programs of all time (or at least the Top Ten of this week!) in order to add a little levity to your probably sagged-out post-Holiday existence. Nothing serious here, just having a little bitta fun with this filler that's bound to get some of the brainiac types confused so don't get too excited...
1) LEAVE IT TO BEAVER-Great show, squirt!
2) THE TWILIGHT ZONE-Submitted for your approval...
3) NAKED CITY-Eight million stories, and even the one with wimp Roddy McDowell was really good!
4) THE HATHAWAYS-Peggy Cass did more with her life than pop up on TO TELL THE TRUTH (or was it I'VE GOT A SECRET or WHAT'S MY LINE??? All those shows were interchangeable to me!). And sharing the spotlight with a buncha chimps didn't hurt any either!
5) HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL-Richard Boone as a sophisticated yet brutal gun-for-hire in the Old West works well despite just how bad such a concept could have flopped in the wrong hands and at the wrong time (like say, 1971). Too bad he hadda go to pot, get fat, shaggy and become HECK RAMSEY!
6) M-SQUAD-Lee Marvin as late-fifties Hi-Fi cop Ballinger can't get any tougher!
7) DRAGNET-...and who can forget Joe Friday? You may prefer the long-running fifties version or swing with the more popular late-sixties variety, but any way you choose it you just can't lose it!
8) THE OUTER LIMITS-Some may say that this, along with ONE STEP BEYOND was ABC's answer to THE TWILIGHT ZONE, but it had a bared-wire intensity all its own. I still remember freaking out over "The Zanti Misfits" not to mention that episode that took place on the moon with the bald guy with the goggles and the big, bulging radioactive eyes. As I was screaming in fear my dad was joking with me, saying that the guy "looks like Mickey Mouse!" No wonder I hate Disney!
9) THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN-My Superman died in 1959, sorry about yours...
10) THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET-Ozzie Nelson...top TV dad of all time!
Not forgetting such other HUGE all-time faves...THE MUNSTERS, SOUPY SALES, GUNSMOKE (pre-mid-sixties), GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO, SUPERCAR, FIREBALL XL-5, THE LUCY SHOW, THE FLINTSTONES, AMERICAN BANDSTAND, SHINDIG, HULLABALOO and just about every mid-sixties rock & roll show, THE HONEYMOONERS, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, LOST IN SPACE, GREEN ACRES and (stepping outside the Golden Age of American Intensity High Energy Living period for one sec) early SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, THE ODD COUPLE and MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS. And of course there will be a thousand more that'll come to mind within a minute or two...
And folks, if you'd like to leave a comment about a specific entry on this blog, let me remind you that all you have to do is click on the highlighted pound sign at the end of the post which will take you to a page repeating the very same entry complete with a place where you can leave your own comments as well as read those that have already been left. (If I were you I'd try to avoid the "general" comment box at the bottom of the main page, a mistake I'd get rid of even though I'd be losing the comments already posted therein.) Even if you're not a "member" of blogger you can always write an "anonymous" response/retort, though leaving your name would be "nice" but not mandatory. Anyway, I thought I should remind you about this pertinent info in case you had something important (or maybe not-so) to add to/detract from these thrilling and oh-so meaningful (especially in this vacuum-packed world of ours) posts I have been making for well over six months!
Tuesday, December 28, 2004
TOP TEN OF TEE-VEE